Saturday, April 26, 2008

Better weather...

What a difference a week makes. I just finished a run along the Willamette River in crisp, sunny weather. Everyone was smiling and giving little nods of acknowledgement as if to say, "Yeah, I love this weather, too."

Last week I ran in the pouring rain and blistering winds, and biked in hail and pelting rain. Now, it wasn't miserable when I set out on these training legs, but turned nasty when I was about as far away from home as I could be. Grrr.

Or more like Brrr!I admit it.

I'm one of those fair weather sports gals. I like to ski in calm, sunny or overcast conditions. I prefer to swim outside when the temperature is 75+. I like to run when its not to cold or wet, not too hot or humid. I like to bike in still, mild weather. I'm no hardcore triathlete.

I like comfort.

But there's been nothing comfortable about training this spring. Blame it on La Nina or whatever, but its been a lousy season. Last year when I trained for a triathlon, it was much later in the year, and much nicer weather.

So after so many weeks of total discomfort, it is so inspiring to run in the sunshine.

I hope, hope, hope its like this next week for the Eugene Marathon. Not just for my own selfish comfort, but because I want all the visiting runners to enjoy their Eugene experience. I have friends coming down from Seattle to run, and if its hailing, I'll be a little embarrassed.

But, frankly, that comes with the territory. When you are reaching for a goal, you can't let a little rain, wind, sleet or hail get in your way. Because, as my husband like to remind me all the time, it could be just as miserable on race day.

Let's hope not.

No comments: